Sen. Bernie Sanders and Rep. Elijah Cummings write Turing Pharmaceuticals CEO Martin Shkreli to ask about co.’s price increase, limits on distribution for drug Daraprim, Bloomberg BNA’s Nathaniel Weixel reports.
- “Dramatic price increase” will affect patients’ ability to buy medicine, lawmakers write in letter
- Sanders, I-Vt., and Cummings, D-Md., ask for information by Oct. 9, incl. total gross revenues from sales of drug and identity of co. official or officials responsible for setting price
- NOTE: Daraprim used to treat life-threatening parasitic infection; increase from $13.50 a tablet to $750 a tablet reported yday in New York Times
- NOTE: Earlier, Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton referred to NYT story when posting Tweet that she plans to lay out plan tmrw to fight “price gouging,” sending biotech stocks down; Sanders also seeking Democratic presidential nomination
- NOTE: Shkreli is a former hedge fund manager
- NOTE: Cummings is top Democrat on House Oversight Cmte; Sanders ranking opposition member on Senate subcmte on Primary Health and Aging
Before it's here, it's on the Bloomberg Terminal. LEARN MORE