The fallout over Donald Trump's remarks on Mexican immigrants continued Tuesday as the PGA of America said the Republican presidential candidate's Los Angeles golf course won’t host this year’s Grand Slam of Golf.
Our Bloomberg Sports colleague Erik Matuszewski reports:
The exhibition created to match up the sport’s four major championship winners is run by the PGA of America. This year’s event had been scheduled to be played at Trump National Golf Club, Los Angeles, in October after being moved from Bermuda. A new host site hasn’t been determined.
Trump met with PGA of America officials on Monday and “mutually agreed that it is in everyone’s best interest” not to conduct the tournament at the billionaire real-estate developer and U.S. presidential candidate’s course, the Trump Organization said in a statement.
The PGA of America said on its website that is in the process of exploring options and "will comment further at the appropriate time."
Trump said Mexicans bring drugs and crime into the U.S. while also calling immigrants from Mexico “rapists” during a June 16 speech announcing his presidential campaign. The Republican candidate said shortly afterward that he’s received “tremendous support” from those in the golf world, yet the PGA of America, U.S. PGA Tour, LPGA and U.S. Golf Association said last week in a joint statement that his remarks don’t reflect the views of those organizations.
Trump said Tuesday in a statement that he doesn’t want “his friends at the PGA of America to suffer any consequences or backlash with respect to the Grand Slam of Golf.”
To recap, the real estate mogul and reality TV personality's business relationships with NBC, Univision, Televisa, Serta, Macy's, and now PGA of America have taken hits since the backlash to his remarks picked up steam. He appears on track to make the cut for the Republican Party's first televised primary debate on Aug. 6 in Cleveland hosted by Fox News.