Hillary Clinton Told by Friend Sidney Blumenthal Benghazi Attack Was Terrorism
(Bloomberg) -- Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton talks with reporters about the release of e-mails she sent as secretary of state. Clinton speaking with reporters in Hampton, New Hampshire, also discusses U.S. trade policy and the fight against Islamic State in Iraq. (Source: Bloomberg)
A longtime friend of Hillary Clinton told her the deadly attacks on the U.S. mission in Libya had been planned for a month by al-Qaeda affiliates and that the attackers used a nearby protest as a cover for the raid.
The message from Sidney Blumenthal, a White House adviser in the Clinton administration, two days after the Sept. 11, 2012, attack, was among dozens he sent her while she was secretary of state, according to e-mails released Friday by the State Department. Blumenthal’s Sept. 13 memo said that the attackers had planned the assault and then took advantage of the demonstrations -- a finding that was at odds with the description initially offered by the White House.