Olympics Head Says No Public Cash Used for Rio After Bailout

  • City, federal governments this week pledged additional money
  • Rio 2016 organizers ran out of funds ahead of Paralympics
Lock
This article is for subscribers only.

The head of the International Olympic Committee, wading into a sensitive domestic issue in recession-weary Brazil, said no public funds had been used to pay for the Rio de Janeiro Games even after local and national officials stepped in to bail out the organizers.

“There is no public money in the organization of this Olympic Games,” IOC President Thomas Bach said at a press conference Saturday, a day before the Olympics closing ceremony on Sunday. “The budget of the organizing committee is privately financed; there is no public funding for this.”