Ukraine to Start Weapon Withdrawal in Donetsk as Truce Holds

UKRAINE-RUSSIA-CRISIS

A bullet-ridden road sign stand outside Donetsk international airport.

Photographer: Aleksey Filippov/AFP/Getty Images

Ukraine will start withdrawing weapons from a clash line in its pro-Russian separatist Donetsk region on Sunday as a truce is holding, military spokesman Andriy Lysenko said.

Ukrainian government troops will pull back mortars with a caliber less than 120 millimeters and cannons with a caliber less than 100 millimeters, Lysenko told reporters on Saturday in Kiev. Separatists would start weapon withdrawal on Oct. 21, Interfax-Ukraine news agency reported on Friday, citing rebel commander Eduard Basurin.

“The ceasefire is holding exemplary along the frontline,” Lysenko said. “As a result no Ukrainian serviceman was killed or wounded.”

The Ukrainian government and the pro-Russian insurgents in the country’s easternmost regions agreed to pull back tanks and light weapons earlier this month. They were given 41 days to complete the withdrawal, which would move tanks and light artillery 30 kilometers (19 miles) from each other.

Before it's here, it's on the Bloomberg Terminal. LEARN MORE