British Muslim Accused of U.K. Bombing Plot Loses Damages Fight

A British Muslim convicted of plotting to carry out a bombing attack can’t appeal a ruling rejecting his bid to win compensation from the U.K. government for its alleged complicity in his torture.

Salahuddin Amin, who is currently serving a life sentence, sued the U.K. security services for their role in his unlawful detention in Pakistan and subsequent removal to Britain in 2005, where he was immediately arrested.

Amin, along with four others, was convicted in 2007 of planning to use homemade fertilizer bombs on targets including London nightclubs, trains, and the gas and power network. Their convictions brought to an end the country’s longest ever terrorist trial, lasting more than a year.

Judges in lower courts “roundly rejected the allegation that British officers had been complicit in any wrongdoing by Pakistani officers,” Judge Martin Moore-Bick said in the Court of Appeal ruling handed down in London on Friday.

Amin was sentenced to serve a minimum of 17 1/2 years in prison in April 2007, later reduced to 16 years 9 months by an appeal judge, according to the ruling.

“Only in very special circumstances, which are not present in this case, is a person entitled to ask one court to decide again questions which have already been investigated and decided by another court,” Moore-Bick said.

The five men had close links with the four suicide bombers who killed 52 people on the London public-transport network in July 2005.

Before it's here, it's on the Bloomberg Terminal. LEARN MORE