Algeria Says Militants Were to Move Hostages After Blast

Algeria's prime minister Abdelmalek Sellal
Abdelmalek Sellal, Algeria's Prime Minister, speaks in front of a map of the country during a press conference in Algiers on Jan. 21, 2013. Sellal said the attackers crossed from north Mali into Niger, then Libya and finally Algeria, an indication of the difficulties of policing the porous borders Algeria shares with its neighbors. Source: AFP/Getty Images

A multinational group of terrorists that killed at least 38 hostages, including three Americans, at a gas complex in Algeria planned to blow up the site and escape into neighboring Mali with their captives, according to the first official account of the raid.

Only the actions of the Algerian army prevented the 32-man militant squad, which had “a massive arsenal” and explosives experts, from fleeing with hostages, Abdelmalek Sellal, the country’s prime minister, told reporters in Algiers yesterday. At least one member of the terrorists was a Canadian national whose job was to contact the media, he said.

The extent of the death toll remains uncertain. Sellal said 37 foreign workers and one Algerian were killed, along with 29 militants, bringing the number of dead to 67. He said three militants were captured, with five foreign hostages still missing. Other governments have said 17 people remain unaccounted for, according to the Associated Press, and reports of the number killed have varied since the Algerian forces moved against the militants.

The operation at the In Amenas gas facility underscored the dangers Algeria faces as French forces target jihadis in Mali. Sellal, whose nation fought a decade-long battle against Islamists in the 1990s, reiterated that Algeria backed peaceful dialogue and wouldn’t commit troops to Mali.

The scenario outlined by Sellal was of an orchestrated assault planned by the militants over two months and complete with inside information from a former driver at the Saharan gas facility, operated by London’s BP Plc, Statoil ASA of Norway, and state-run Sonatrach. The siege was dealt with “professionally” by the Algerian military, Sellal said.

‘Unacceptable Demands’

“The army first tried to negotiate in the hope of resolving the situation, but the terrorists were determined and their position was clear, and they had unacceptable demands,” Sellal said.

The attackers hailed from eight nations including Tunisia, Egypt, Niger, Mauritania and Canada, according to the premier.

The deceased hostages also came from diverse backgrounds, including people from Japan, the U.S., the Philippines, Colombia, Britain and France, according to their respective governments. The workers were killed one-by-one, Sellal said, in a mass execution.

The three U.S. citizens killed in the attack were Victor Lynn Lovelady, Gordon Lee Rowan and Frederick Buttaccio, the U.S. State Department announced yesterday. Seven other Americans survived the ordeal, Victoria Nuland, a spokeswoman for the department, said in a statement.

Porous Borders

Sellal said the attackers crossed from north Mali into Niger, then Libya and finally Algeria, an indication of the difficulties of policing the porous borders Algeria shares with its neighbors. The group was headed by a man named Bechneb Mohamed al-Amin, according to Sellal.

The first stage of the “cowardly act by a group of terrorists” began at 5:30 a.m. on Jan. 16 and targeted a bus carrying passengers to In Amenas airport, Sellal said. BP’s country manager was among the passengers, he said.

The militants “started firing at the bus and received a severe response from soldiers,” he said. “They failed to achieve their goal which was to kidnap foreign workers.”

The attackers then divided into two groups, with 11 men heading to the gas plant and the others to the housing unit. The militants were heavily armed, with rocket-propelled grenades and automatic weapons as they stormed the complex that housed a total of 790 workers, of whom 134 were foreigners from 26 nations, the prime minister said.

Guard’s Effort

A young Algerian security guard at the gas factory was among the first to be killed. Before dying, he managed to sound the alarm, a heroic effort that allowed workers to shut down the complex and to hide, Sellal said.

During the first night, the militants began preparations to flee to Mali in a convoy of vehicles, strapping explosives to the hostages. They were prevented from leaving the complex by the army, which had surrounded the site and struck with “force,” killing the group’s leader, Sellal said.

The attackers then sought to join their fellow militants, putting the hostages into the vehicles and using them as human shields. The military’s final assault on the militants came amid fears they were trying to destroy the facility, he said.

Security Forces

Commenting on the intervention by security forces, Sellal said, “I swear before God that there are few in this world who could achieve” what the Algerian armed forces undertook.

The remarks appeared aimed at initial criticism directed at Algeria over the military’s response -- efforts later defended by France, the nation’s former colonial ruler.

Responsibility was claimed by militants of the al-Qaeda-linked al Mulathameen group, who said their action was inspired by the arrival last week of French forces seeking to block a jihadist takeover of neighboring Mali. The group, headed by Mokhtar Belmokhtar, a one-eyed Algerian militant, warned other attacks could follow, according to a statement published on Mauritania’s private ANI news agency on Jan. 20.

Japan’s Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said seven Japanese were killed, the Kyodo news agency reported. In addition, six Filipinos, at least three Britons, two Romanians, one French security worker and a Colombian were slain.

Before it's here, it's on the Bloomberg Terminal. LEARN MORE