Russia Calls for Impartial Investigation of Syria Gas Attack
This article is for subscribers only.
Russia has “serious grounds” to consider last month’s Syrian chemical attack a “provocation” by rebel forces, Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said today, calling for a new inquiry to establish who was responsible.
While United Nations inspectors found that poison sarin gas was used in the Aug. 21 attack near Syria’s capital, Damascus, the investigation had no mandate to identify the perpetrators, Lavrov told reporters in Moscow today after meeting his French counterpart, Laurent Fabius.