Trump Official Says He Warned of Child Trauma From Family Separations
- Practice ended in June following bipartisan pressure
- Administration said July 26 that 700 children still in custody
This article is for subscribers only.
A Trump administration official said Tuesday he warned for months about the potential for harm to migrant children if they were separated from their parents before the administration launched its "zero tolerance" border policy earlier this year.
"There is no question that separation of children from parents entails significant potential for traumatic psychological injury to the child," Commander Jonathan White, a Health and Human Services official who led the agency’s family reunification efforts, told the Senate Judiciary Committee at Congress’s first hearing on the separations of thousands of families at the border.