Lawsuit Against Trump’s DACA Policy Can Proceed, Judge Says

  • Judge says ‘plausible inference’ of racially biased policy
  • Ruling narrows claims but allows litigation to proceed
Lock
This article is for subscribers only.

President Donald Trump’s administration must defend a lawsuit targeting his plan to end a program offering protection from deportation for hundreds of thousands of children of undocumented immigrants.

U.S District Judge Nicholas Garaufis in Brooklyn, New York, narrowed but didn’t dismiss the suit on Thursday, finding that there was a “plausible inference” that it was illegally aimed at Mexicans. He previously blocked the U.S. government from ending the program known as Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, or DACA, and from halting the renewal process, but hadn’t decided whether to allow the case to proceed.