South Korea Agrees to Cut Indonesia Share in Fighter Jet Project

A KF-21 fighter jet model at the Responsible AI in the Military Domain summit in Seoul on Sept. 10.

Photographer: Jung Yeon-Je/AFP/Getty Images

Indonesian and South Korean officials have signed a revised deal that significantly lowers Jakarta’s financial commitment to the joint KF-21 fighter jet program, a move aimed at reviving long-stalled progress on the multibillion-dollar project.

South Korea’s Defense Acquisition Program Administration said Friday that the new deal reflects a resolution made last year to revise Indonesia’s share of the development costs. In August, DAPA had said Indonesia would contribute 600 billion won to the project, equivalent to about $438.4 million, marking a drop from 1.6 trillion won originally pledged.