Israel Ready to Hit Houthis Again While Urging US to Take Lead

  • Countering last week’s attack may be easier for US coalition
  • Hezbollah must back off from Lebanon border: foreign minister

A drone strike near the US embassy in Tel Aviv, Israel, on July 19.

Photographer: Kobi Wolf/Bloomberg
Lock
This article is for subscribers only.

Israel is prepared to attack Houthi-controlled parts of Yemen again following its air strike last week, the country’s top diplomat said, though would prefer the US-headed maritime security coalition to take the lead role.

Foreign Minister Israel Katz said the Iran-backed militant group is planning fresh attacks after a long-distance Houthi drone killed a man in Tel Aviv on July 19. The Houthis are, he said, undeterred despite Israel’s counter-strike on the Red Sea port of Hodeida the following day.