Congo Suspends ERG Subcontractors at Major Cobalt Mine

  • Regulator says nine companies breached local legislation
  • Kazakh-backed firm has one of world’s largest cobalt projects
Lock
This article is for subscribers only.

The Democratic Republic of Congo has suspended nine subcontracting companies working at mines run by Eurasian Resources Group, as the cobalt and copper producer faces fresh complications in the country.

The government first announced the ban on March 14, alleging that the firms aren’t controlled by Congolese nationals as required by law. The regulator said Tuesday the sanctions are still in place, after meeting with Kazakhstan-backed ERG last week.