Houthi Strikes Force Crew to Abandon Ship for First Time
- Centcom says Houthi attack damaged Rubymar bulk carrier
- Group claims to have sunk an unidentified British vessel
This article is for subscribers only.
The crew of a commercial ship in the Red Sea abandoned the vessel following a Houthi attack — the first such evacuation since the militant group began menacing trade in the vital waterway late last year.
Two-anti ship ballistic missiles damaged the Belize-flagged Rubymar on Sunday evening local time, US Central Command said Monday on social media platform X. A coalition warship and another merchant ship responded to the distress call, and the Rubymar’s crew were transported to a nearby port, it added.