Transportation
Ford CEO Explains Why the Automaker Is Pausing Its Michigan Battery Plant
- Ford halted construction of battery plant earlier this week
- Michigan battery plant uses cell technology from China’s CATL
This article is for subscribers only.
Ford Motor Co. is waiting on a deal with the United Auto Workers union, as well as the clarification of content rules in President Biden’s Inflation Reduction Act, before it moves forward with plans to build a battery plant in Marshall, Michigan, Chief Executive Officer Jim Farley said Friday.
Farley said the company and the union, which expanded its strike to a Ford SUV plant in Chicago Friday, are close to a record deal on wages and benefits, but talks are stalled on guarantees over jobs at battery plants. The UAW says retirement benefits and healthcare are also sticking points, in addition to battery plants.