How China’s Top Quants Bought the Dip When Everybody Panicked
- Minghong lifted stock exposure at bottom of market on March 15
- Quants say kept full stock positions amid scrutiny of business
This article is for subscribers only.
When China’s stock market plunged last month, one of the nation’s biggest algorithm-driven hedge funds says it bought the dip.
Shanghai Minghong Investment Management Co., which manages close to $11 billion, added 400 million yuan ($63 million) of stock exposure to its multi-strategy fund on March 15, founder Qiu Huiming told Bloomberg. Other quant funds say they too held the line during the selloff which evoked memories of the 2008 financial crisis.