Hong Kong Exempts International Schools From Early Summer Break
- City mandated early holiday to use schools as testing sites
- Shutting classrooms is part of city plan to fight Covid surge
Hong Kong will allow international schools to stick with their original schedules for the year, after educational institutions pushed back on a government plan to bring forward the summer break to next month as part of the city’s broader effort to fight its worst outbreak ever.
International schools will be exempt from a mandate announced by Chief Executive Carrie Lam last week to shift summer holidays to March and April, Secretary for Education Kevin Yeung said at a briefing on Monday, which means they can stick to the usual vacation schedule of July and August. Meanwhile, local schools will resume teaching after the Easter holiday, with classes ending in August, he said. The break will allow the city to convert some schools campuses into mass-testing centers.