China Accuses U.S. of Mismanagement of Musk’s Satellite Risks
- U.S. didn’t provide details after near misses, ministry says
- Statement comes after new failure of Starlink satellite launch
A Falcon 9 rocket returns to land after the launch of the NROL-87 spy satellite payload.
Photographer: Patrick T. Fallon/AFP/Getty Images
This article is for subscribers only.
China accused the U.S. of not taking responsibility for problems caused by satellites launched by Elon Musk-backed SpaceX, highlighting the potential risk for conflict between the world’s two top space-faring nations.
The U.S. didn’t respond to requests for information when SpaceX’s Starlink satellites last year came dangerously close to the Chinese space station, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian told a regular news briefing Thursday in Beijing.