Deals

Southwest Gas Board Rejects Carl Icahn’s Unsolicited Takeover Offer

  • Southwest says bid undervalues company and is “illusionary”
  • Southwest says selling Centuri construction unit is an option
Carl Icahn

Photographer: Victor J. Blue/Bloomberg

Lock
This article is for subscribers only.

Southwest Gas Holdings Inc. rejected a takeover attempt by billionaire Carl Icahn, saying his unsolicited tender offer undervalues the U.S. utility. Icahn fired back with a heated letter, calling the company’s response “the height of hypocrisy.”

The escalating dispute makes a proxy fight more likely as “the company and Icahn continue to trade blows,” analysts at JPMorgan Chase & Co. said in a research note Wednesday. It will also focus more attention on how Southwest plans to finance its pending $2 billion deal to buy Questar Pipeline Co., the transaction that set off the fight last month with the billionaire activist investor.