Boeing Risks Losing a Third of 777X Orders on Jet’s Latest Delay

  • Backlog shrinks by 118 planes because of U.S. accounting rule
  • Company said last week that new model won’t debut until 2023
The Boeing 777X airplane.Photographer: Chona Kasinger/Bloomberg
Lock
This article is for subscribers only.

Boeing Co. signaled it’s at risk of losing more than a third of its 777X order haul because the latest delay to the behemoth jet’s debut -- now slated for late 2023 -- gives some customers the right to walk away from sales contracts.

The U.S. planemaker lowered the backlog for the 777X family to just 191 jets in a regulatory filing on Monday, or 38% fewer than the firm orders listed on the company’s website. The reason for the drop is an accounting standard that requires sales at risk of falling through to be removed, the company said in an email.