Russia Says Azerbaijan-Armenia Cease-Fire Still Not Holding
- Fighting goes on for third day after Russia-brokered truce
- Conflict is the worst in decades over Nagorno-Karabakh region
Rescuers search for victims in Ganja, Azerbaijan, on Oct. 11.
Photographer: Bulent Kilic/AFP via Getty Images
This article is for subscribers only.
Russia conceded a three-day-old truce it brokered between Azerbaijan and Armenia isn’t holding yet, as the two warring sides traded accusations of responsibility for fresh clashes in the Nagorno-Karabakh region.
“We see that these agreements so far aren’t being fully implemented and fighting is continuing,” Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Monday in Moscow at the start of talks with his Armenian counterpart Zohrab Mnatsakanyan. Russia will press the countries to respect the cease-fire, he said.