Trump’s Pledge to Pick Woman For Court Leaves Two Frontrunners

  • Amy Coney Barrett, Barbara Lagoa are said to be top candidates
  • Amul Thapar seen as a top three candidate before woman pledge
Trump's List of SCOTUS Nominees
Lock
This article is for subscribers only.

Since Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg died Friday night, President Donald Trump has largely winnowed a list of dozens of potential replacements down to a handful, and now just a pair, of front-runners.

Appeals court judges Amy Coney Barrett and Barbara Lagoa are emerging as the most likely to be picked after Trump said Saturday at a rally in North Carolina that he planned to select a woman. A third judge, Amul Thapar, had also been in the running until Trump’s comment. All three appeared on a long list of possible high-court picks that Trump updated earlier this month. Barrett and Thapar were among the nominees whom Trump considered before selecting Brett Kavanaugh for the court in 2018.