Hong Kong Police Ban July 1 March Amid Tension Over Security Law

  • March organizer will appeal against the decision Sunday
  • Police said event violates H.K.’s social distancing rules

The annual pro-democracy rally in Hong Kong, on July 1, 2019.

Photographer: Paul Yeung/Bloomberg
Lock
This article is for subscribers only.

Hong Kong police have declined to permit one of the city’s largest annual marches as Chinese lawmakers finalize a sweeping national security law for the former British colony.

The march planned for the July 1 anniversary of Hong Kong’s return to Chinese sovereignty is against the city’s social distancing rules and may cause violence, the police said in a statement Saturday circulated by its organizer Civil Human Rights Front. The group has arranged some of the city’s largest-ever protests, including peaceful marches against a controversial extradition bill last year that attracted more than a million people and helped lead to the proposal’s ultimate withdrawal.