Crackdown on Sudan Sit-In Killed More Than 108, Doctors Say

  • Toll continues to rise, with reports of dead thrown into Nile
  • International criticism builds against Sudan’s military rulers

Sudanese protesters burn tires and barricade the road in Khartoum's twin city of Omdurman on June 3, 2019. 

Photographer: Ahmed Mustafa/AFP via Getty Images

Lock
This article is for subscribers only.

The death toll from a security crackdown on pro-democracy protesters in Sudan’s capital rose to more than 108, a doctors’ group said Wednesday, amid mounting international criticism of the ruling military that ousted veteran President Omar al-Bashir.

The Central Committee of Sudanese Doctors, a group affiliated with the protests, said in a statement that some of the dead had been thrown into the Nile River and it expects the toll to rise further.