Puerto Rico Seeks $94 Billion in Federal Aid for Hurricane Recovery

  • Scale of disaster ‘knows no historic precedent,’ Governor says
  • Federal overseer said up to $21 billion needed over two years
Puerto Rico's Governor Calls on Trump for Help
Lock
This article is for subscribers only.

Puerto Rico is seeking $94 billion in federal aid to help it recovery from the hurricane that devastated the territory in September, leaving much of the island still without power and worsening a financial crisis that had already pushed the government into bankruptcy.

The biggest share of the funds, $31 billion, would be used to rebuild homes, with another $18 billion requested for the electric utility, Governor Ricardo Rossello said in a letter to President Donald Trump released Monday.