The Riyadh Hotel That's Suddenly the World's Most Exclusive
- Saudis joke that princes, ministers detained at Ritz Carlton
- Hotel closed for government use, fully booked, guests booted
Saudi Purge Brings Crown Prince Closer to Power
This article is for subscribers only.
The gates are shut, the phone line is perpetually busy and you can’t book a room until Feb. 1.
The Riyadh Ritz-Carlton has suddenly become very exclusive -- and by popular account, a luxury prison. Earlier this week, just as Saudi Arabia declared an anti-corruption purge that targeted some of the kingdom’s wealthiest and most powerful men, guests were booted out and reservations were canceled. Travel agents were told the palatial compound had been taken over for government use. On Thursday, a receptionist at the Courtyard Marriott across the road said it had also been fully booked by “local higher authorities,” stoking rumors that the list of detainees was growing.