Newcrest Says Indonesian Gold Mine Halted, Employee Trapped

  • Producer evacuated Kencana mine after `geotechnical event`
  • Company says has `credible indications' worker is alive
Lock
This article is for subscribers only.

Newcrest Mining Ltd., Australia’s biggest gold producer, suspended operations at an underground mine in Indonesia as it attempts to rescue a worker stuck about 300 meters below the surface following a rockfall caused by a so-called geotechnical event.

The employee remains trapped, though the producer has had “credible indications” that the Indonesian man is alive, Newcrest said Tuesday in an e-mailed statement. A number of mining levels were damaged at the Gosowong complex on Halmahera Island on Monday night, it said earlier in a separate statement. A geotechnical event commonly refers to ground movement prompted by seismic or mining activity.