How Bill Ackman Misfired With His Herbalife LectureBy
Did Bill Ackman just deal a deathblow to Herbalife, or pay $50 million to prove that a sucker is born every minute? In a presentation on Tuesday that he dubbed “the most important of his career,” the hedge fund manager lobbed a fresh round of missiles at the company he has bet $1 billion against. His main target: the shake maker’s lucrative “Club 100″ training program, which Ackman described as a Bernie Madoff-style scheme that dupes participants with false hopes, misleading claims, and high costs. For added measure he threw in references to the Nazis, Enron, the mafia, drug cartels, and assorted celebrities like David Beckham and Madeleine Albright. He also called Herbalife Chief Executive Michael Johnson a criminal more than once.
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- Ivanka Trump Faces Courtroom Showdown Over $785 Sandals
- Uber Losing Battle in London After Regulator Revokes License
- How Electric Cars Can Create the Biggest Disruption Since the iPhone
- Mercedes Plots Tesla Attack With $1 Billion U.S. Electric Push
- Hewlett Packard Enterprise Is Said to Plan About 5,000 Job Cuts