Bid & Ask: The Deals of the Week
1. Dallas-based Energy Transfer Partners, owner of about 23,500 miles of natural gas pipelines, is buying Sunoco for $5.3 billion to gain oil terminals and transportation assets.
2. Massachusetts medical device maker Hologic will acquire California’s GenProbe for about $3.7 billion to add blood screening products and tests for sexually transmitted diseases.
4. Wolverine Worldwide, Golden Gate Capital, and Blum Capital Partners are buying Collective Brands in a transaction valued at about $2 billion, and splitting up Collective’s businesses, which include Saucony and Keds.
5. Terra Firma Capital Partners is buying U.K. nursing-home operator Four Seasons Health Care for $1.3 billion.
6. Private equity firm Centerbridge Partners will pay about $1.1 billion for P.F. Chang’s China Bistro, the biggest full-service Asian restaurant operator in the U.S.
7. Arizona-based semiconductor maker Microchip Technology is buying rival Standard Microsystems for about $939 million.
8. Ascena Retail Group, owner of Dressbarn, Maurices, and Justice clothing stores, will acquire Charming Shoppes for $890 million, gaining the Lane Bryant chain that specializes in women’s plus-size apparel.
9. Delta Air Lines is buying a refinery near Philadelphia from ConocoPhillips for $150 million. The carrier hopes to save $300 million on its annual fuel bill.
10. A blue flannel New York Yankees baseball cap worn by Babe Ruth in the 1930s is on the block. It is worth $400,000, according to SCP Auctions, which is handling the sale.