Eight Ways to Stop a Pirate
1. LRAD. Sonic cannons can warn pirates from almost two miles
2. Dazzlers. SPA Defense sells a hand-held laser beam that can impair vision from more than half a mile
3. Citadel. Pirates have spent days searching for these hidden safe rooms
4. Propeller arresters. MMWC sells a system that drops more than 300 feet of buoyant rope to entangle skiff propellers
5. High-energy lasers. The Office of Naval Research used a laser to set fire to a small boat from more than a mile
6. Decoy watchmen. Dummies strapped to the rails can give the appearance of extra vigilance
7. Water hoses. Hot, high-pressure water can be aimed from hoses or poured in curtains from "spray rails"
8. Razor wire. High-tensile concertina wire, mounted in sections, is a minimum measure
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.