Field Trips, Signals and What's Going Wrong
1. Sarah Binder and Mark Spindel at the Monkey Cage on what's gone wrong with Donald Trump's legislative agenda. A big part of the answer? It's the House.
2. Also at the Monkey Cage, Danielle Lupton, Roseanne McManus and Keren Yarhi-Milo on Trump's efforts to signal resolve to foreign nations.
3. My Bloomberg View colleague Justin Fox compares New York and Alabama.
4. Ross Douthat has the best optimistic view of Trump's first 100 days.
5. Matt Fuller reports on the state of health-care-reform negotiations in the House. Great reporting, but the main thing I like about this is what Pennsylvania Republican Charlie Dent says: "So this is simply a matter of blame-shifting and face-saving." Hey, that's what I've been saying! Worth pointing out I suppose that it is possible, if still unlikely, that they'll manage to blame-shift this one all the way across the finish line. Possible, although I wouldn't bet on it.
6. And Fred Kaplan on Trump's field trip for the U.S. Senate. Kaplan focuses on the foreign-policy aspects, but he's correct: This is a stunt you can pull exactly once. The Senate isn't going to pile into those buses a second time.
Get Early Returns every morning in your inbox. Click here to subscribe.
This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the editorial board or Bloomberg LP and its owners.
To contact the author of this story:
Jonathan Bernstein at email@example.com
To contact the editor responsible for this story:
Brooke Sample at firstname.lastname@example.org