Don't Laugh: The End of Capitalism May Be Nigh
Time to Restart That Old Capitalism Death Watch
A German sociologist expects a long, messy period of Brexits and Trumps, and smart people are taking his crisis-of-capitalism analysis seriously. Justin Fox explains why a thinker indebted to Marx, Hegel, and the 14th-century historian Ibn Khaldun offers unusual insight into the global economic system.
Why You Might Ditch Your Smartphone for a Dumb One
It was state-of-the-art back in 2000, and now it’s back: Nokia’s recently relaunched 3310 feature phone is cheap, simple, and pretty useless for social media. For Leonid Bershidsky, that’s a feature, not a bug: Retro tech seems like a pretty good cure for an epidemic of Facebook addiction.
A Fake-News Warning From a Former Propagandist
Today, Larry Martin is a retired professor in coastal Massachusetts. Decades ago, he was Ladislav Bittman, deputy commander for disinformation in communist Czechoslovakia. Faye Flam speaks to the professional media manipulator (turned journalism educator) about the many ways news can go awry.
Democrats Should Back a Digital Border Wall
Donald Trump’s immigration policies may be costly and counterproductive, but at times it’s unclear what the opposition has to offer. If liberals stand for more than just open borders, Francis Wilkinson says, they’ll need to develop a humane, high-tech alternative for regulating traffic across the border.
- A cognitive view of trading psychology (TraderFeed)
- The race for autonomous cars is over, and Silicon Valley lost (Autoblog)
- How dangerous is a stock market of mindless robots? (Wall Street Journal)
(Read Barry Ritholtz’s full daily news roundup here.)
- Fears and cheers for Snapchat’s IPO
- The Fed can’t do three things at once
- Politics is everything for Europe’s would-be borrowers
(Read more from BV’s sister site for fast business commentary.)
Get Share the View every morning in your inbox. Subscribe here.
This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the editorial board or Bloomberg LP and its owners.
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- How Long Can Trump's Long Con Last?
- Trump on Your Resume? Uh-Oh
- What History Says About Trump's Re-Election Prospects
- How to Avoid a Retirement Disaster
- The Ugly Coded Critique of Chick-Fil-A's Christianity
- Holding Up a Mirror to the Intellectuals of the Left
- Trump's Promising Plan to Link Welfare to Work