The Hans Gruber of Politics
1. Kristine Eck and Christopher J. Fariss at the Monkey Cage on Swedish crime statistics.
2. Hard to know for sure, but I suspect Matt Yglesias is correct about Steve Bannon as a Hans Gruber type. That's not too far, for what it's worth, from what Newt Gingrich is, and he was one of the most destructive politicians of the last 50 years.
3. I like this: Derek Muller sketches out how the Electoral College in 2016 would have worked under a variety of different rules.
4. Slate's Fred Kaplan is getting more and more exasperated with Donald Trump and the dangers he poses for the U.S.
5. And my Bloomberg View colleague Noah Smith defends the estate tax.
Get Early Returns every morning in your inbox. Click here to subscribe.
This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the editorial board or Bloomberg LP and its owners.
To contact the author of this story:
Jonathan Bernstein at firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact the editor responsible for this story:
Brooke Sample at email@example.com