Fudging Numbers and Unlocking Codes
Information is power. Get ready to power up with our morning train reads:
- Treasury Bills Outperform Most Stocks -- Say What??? (Alpha Architect); see also Do Stocks Outperform Treasury Bills? (SSRN)
- Stock Markets and the Rule of Law (Reformed Broker)
- China’s Bond Market Has a Forgery Problem (Bloomberg Businessweek); see also Will China Have a Financial Crisis: The Bull Growth Case (Balding's World)
- For some looking to dump Uber, the #deleteUber campaign simply sealed the deal (Recode)
- Statisticians fear Trump White House will manipulate figures to fit narrative (the Guardian); see also Why I’m Concerned About the Independence of U.S. Statistical Agencies (Political Arithmetick)
- Restaurants are seeing their profits devoured by landlords and labor costs (Crain's New York)
- Biologists unlock code regulating most human genes (Science Daily); see also Why it’s a big deal that AI knows how to bluff in poker (MIT Technology Review)
- Building to the Sky, With a Plan for Rising Waters (New York Times)
- To Fight the Winter Blues, Try a Dose of Nature (Wall Street Journal); see also Get Up and Move. It May Make You Happier. (New York Times)
- This photographer shot more than 100 famous people in two years. These are his favorites. (Washington Post)
What are you reading?
A Year of Risk
Want to receive our daily reads in your inbox? Sign up here!
This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the editorial board or Bloomberg LP and its owners.
To contact the author of this story:
Barry Ritholtz at email@example.com
To contact the editor responsible for this story:
Brooke Sample at firstname.lastname@example.org