The Rust Belt Needs a Bailout. A Big One.
Protectionism won’t bring back the struggling U.S. region, but another kind of federal intervention would. Conor Sen says the Rust Belt could invest in its future if only the government would fix its public-pension mess.
In London, Airbnb Surprises By Being Humble
Leonid Berdshidsky sees Airbnb’s surprisingly meek response to an unwelcome city regulation as evidence the sharing economy needs big urban areas more than the other way around.
Mansions Aren’t Such Great Investments
A Job Is More Than a Paycheck
Economists think of work as just a way to make money, but Noah Smith argues researchers have erred in overlooking how it fosters pride, identity and self-respect.
Emerging Market Winners and Losers After Trump
Donald Trump’s election is the end of a long party for emerging markets, but some have brighter futures than others. A. Gary Shilling explains why Poland, Malaysia and the Philippines are set to come out ahead of Turkey, Mexico and Egypt.
- Six financial must-dos before year-end (Morningstar)
- Ten good pieces of economic data from all around the world (Bloomberg)
- How baby boomers became the most selfish generation (Business Insider)
(Read Barry Ritholtz’s full daily news roundup.)
- The housing bubble’s great survivors
- America’s oil workers got a Christmas bonus from OPEC
- The numbers behind a pharma CEO shouting match
This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the editorial board or Bloomberg LP and its owners.