Autocracies, Mandates, Fake News and Bots
1. Kevin Munger at the Monkey Cage on bots deployed against bigots.
2. Political scientist Timothy Frye recognizes signs of autocracy he's seen elsewhere in the election of Donald Trump. I've heard several people who study other nations say similar things. I do think they're underestimating U.S. institutions and political culture ... but then again, I'm certainly not saying there are no reasons for concern. And part of fighting for democracy involves identifying and naming the threats.
3. Presidential-mandate maven Julia Azari at Vox on Trump and the mandate question.
4. Brendan Nyhan at the Upshot looks at the future of two-party competition.
5. Jonathan Cohn looks for the Republicans' health-care plan.
6. Margaret Sullivan at the Washington Post has some advice for those covering the incoming administration. A good start. But it's going to take a lot of careful thinking to figure this out properly.
7. And Ben Smith on the challenge of dealing with fake news.
Get Early Returns every morning in your inbox. Click here to subscribe.
This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the editorial board or Bloomberg LP and its owners.
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- How Long Can Trump's Long Con Last?
- Trump on Your Resume? Uh-Oh
- What History Says About Trump's Re-Election Prospects
- How to Avoid a Retirement Disaster
- The Ugly Coded Critique of Chick-Fil-A's Christianity
- Trump's Promising Plan to Link Welfare to Work
- Holding Up a Mirror to the Intellectuals of the Left