Scholars, Conservatives and Early Voting
1. I don’t suppose it’s a big surprise that international-relations scholars, including those who are conservatives, prefer Hillary Clinton to Donald Trump, but they do. The Monkey Cage has the details.
2. Nate Cohn at the Upshot on the early vote in North Carolina.
3. Conor Friedersdorf argues that a less Trump-like Donald Trump wouldn’t have won the Republican nomination, so it doesn’t really make sense to think about how a better version of Trump would be doing in the general election.
4. Despair about conservative intellectualism from Ross Douthat.
5. Yuval Levin with a good conservative argument about what people got wrong about Obamacare.
6. My Bloomberg View colleague Ramesh Ponnuru on Trump’s economic plans ...
7. ... while Brian Beutler makes the point that Republicans in Congress are still dedicated to keeping the health-care system from any possible incremental improvements.
8. And Jonathan Chait on Trump and intellectuals.
Get Early Returns every morning in your inbox. Click here to subscribe.
This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the editorial board or Bloomberg LP and its owners.
To contact the author of this story:
Jonathan Bernstein at email@example.com
To contact the editor responsible for this story:
Brooke Sample at firstname.lastname@example.org