Debates, Negativity, Terrorism and Donors
1. Jennifer Victor at Vox on the upcoming presidential debate.
2. Thomas Patterson at the Los Angeles Times on the steady diet of negative coverage the media has been serving of Hillary Clinton. Whether this is “bias” is a more complicated question -- perhaps she deserves only negative coverage. I find it hard to see an argument for the obsessive coverage of her State Department e-mail management, but others may differ. Either way: Whether deserved or not, it’s clear she’s been subject to an unusually negative portrayal in the news media.
3. At Pacific Standard, Tom Jacobs interviews political scientist Bethany Albertson about the electoral effects of terrorism and why attacks aren’t likely to help Donald Trump.
4. Kevin Drum asks debate moderator Lester Holt to put policy first.
5. And at FiveThirtyEight, Eitan Hersh and Brian Schaffner note that Jewish Republican donors aren’t backing Trump.
Get Early Returns every morning in your inbox. Click here to subscribe.
This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the editorial board or Bloomberg LP and its owners.
To contact the author of this story:
Jonathan Bernstein at email@example.com
To contact the editor responsible for this story:
Brooke Sample at firstname.lastname@example.org