'Catastrophic Mistakes,' Black Voters and Fox News
1. Lynn Vavreck at the Upshot on what Donald Trump is costing the Republicans in this election: When parties make “catastrophic mistakes.”
2. Seth Masket and Julia Azari at Mischiefs of Faction on the history of presidential nomination debates, and the parties’ role in organizing them.
3. Jamelle Bouie at Slate on why black voters have no interest in listening to Trump.
4. David French at National Review on how Fox News hurts the conservative cause. I mostly do not think that Fox (along with other conservative outlets) has mattered in elections. But I do think the conservative closed-information loop has hurt the Republican Party’s ability to govern.
5. Another conservative writer, Jennifer Rubin at Turn Right, discusses “the hysteria that passes for political talk in the far-right echo chamber.”
6. Steven Dennis at Bloomberg Politics looks at Republican congressional primaries this year.
7. Lisa Desjardins and Daniel Bush at the PBS Newshour detail the campaign gap between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump.
8. And Ritchie King at FiveThirtyEight charts changes in polarization between states in presidential elections.
Get Early Returns every morning in your inbox. Click here to subscribe.
This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the editorial board or Bloomberg LP and its owners.
To contact the author of this story:
Jonathan Bernstein at firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact the editor responsible for this story:
Katy Roberts at email@example.com