Trump, the Media and Obama's Oratory
1. Abbey Steele at the Monkey Cage on peace coming to Colombia.
2. Dan Drezner on Donald Trump, trade and media coverage.
3. Here at View, Noah Smith on the earned-income tax credit.
4. Andrew Sprung on rhetoric from Barack Obama and other Democrats.
5. And Kevin Drum on why some observers miss that Donald Trump has problems with the truth. My guess is they are looking in the wrong place. When politicians (including Hillary Clinton) lie, they do it like politicians. There is usually some “if you see it in this light” explanation for why what they said is true. Trump doesn’t do that (Ross Perot comes to mind as the candidate most similar in this regard). Trump just makes stuff up, or gets things entirely wrong. Some political analysts looking for the “normal” type of lies may not know what to make of what he says, so they wind up not classifying them as lies.
Get Early Returns every morning in your inbox. Click here to subscribe.
This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the editorial board or Bloomberg LP and its owners.
To contact the author of this story:
Jonathan Bernstein at firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact the editor responsible for this story:
Katy Roberts at email@example.com