The Racist Core of a Faux-Conservative Movement
There's less to the "alt-right" than meets the eye, says Ramesh Ponnuru. This racist corner of the national discourse is tiny and hardly worthy of Hillary Clinton's takedown.
Down With Big Syrup
The Federation of Quebec Maple Syrup Producers is exactly as ominous as it sounds. The Bloomberg View editorial board would like to watch this delicious cartel and its quota system dissolve.
The Serious Purpose Behind France's Silly Burkini Ban
France's ideal of secularism is reviled. But Tobin Harshaw points out that its more flexible neighbors have done no better in assimilating Muslim immigrants.
Data Geeks Are Taking Over Economics
Grand mathematical theories are losing out to research based on facts. Noah Smith sees a limit to that trend, eventually.
Americans Are Driving Less, But ...
... they're not taking transit more. Justin Fox concludes that people are just staying home.
- Do you pick stocks, or do you pick the picker of stock pickers? (FT Alphaville)
- How to Stay Rich in Europe: Inherit Money for 700 Years (Bloomberg)
- Trump Is Making More States Competitive. Red States. (fivethirtyeight)
(Read Barry Ritholtz's full daily news roundup.)
- Walmart strkes back at dollar stores
- Libor shouldn't sneak up on the Fed
- Shrinking LBOs and tomorrow's IPOs
(Read more from BV's sister site for fast business commentary.)
Get Share the View every morning in your inbox. Click here to subscribe.
This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the editorial board or Bloomberg LP and its owners.