Floods, Regrets and Teaching Trump
1. Eric Schliesser and Tom Van Der Meer at the Monkey Cage on proposals to replace voting with other ways of choosing leaders. Good piece. I’d add an emphasis on representation as a process, something that appears to require elections in order to function properly.
2. David Hopkins is exactly correct: Donald Trump is a conservative -- or at least is running as a conservative -- but he’s barely a Republican.
3. Here at Bloomberg View, Russell L. Riley has what veterans of the Bill Clinton presidency have to say about Hillary Clinton, first lady.
4. Excellent item from Chris Cillizza at the Fix about Barack Obama’s self-image and the Louisiana floods.
5. Kevin Drum on what Trump might regret.
6. And at the New West, John McMahon and Patricia Stapleton on political scientists’ struggle with how to teach Trump (and how to teach other difficult topics in the future).
Get Early Returns every morning in your inbox. Click here to subscribe.
To contact the author of this story:
Jonathan Bernstein at email@example.com
To contact the editor responsible for this story:
Brooke Sample at firstname.lastname@example.org