Huge Negativity and Deep Divisions
1. Yes, Donald Trump’s speech was unusually negative. John Sides at the Monkey Cage passes along an analysis.
2. See also Brendan Nyhan on Trump’s emphasis on crime.
3. Dave Hopkins on the divide within the Republican Party.
4. I really disagree with Matthew Dickinson about intraparty divisions -- I think the Democrats are far more unified than the Republicans are -- but as usual when we disagree, I urge you to read him. What I did find very interesting in his in-person report were his comments on “lock her up.”
5. The Huffington Post's Natalie Jackson reminds everyone not to overreact to polls over the next couple of weeks.
6. Here at Bloomberg View, Megan McArdle and Ramesh Ponnuru on the Democratic convention. I lean towards Ponnuru’s view here.
7. And Nate Cohn at the Upshot on Tim Kaine, Virginia and the electoral college. A big “if” here -- political scientists are split about whether a home state effect is real.
Get Early Returns every morning in your inbox. Click here to subscribe.
This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the editorial board or Bloomberg LP and its owners.
To contact the author of this story:
Jonathan Bernstein at firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact the editor responsible for this story:
Brooke Sample at email@example.com