Bumps, Picks, Rules and Expectations
1. Tom Holbrook at Politics by the Numbers on short-term convention bumps.
2. I agree with everything Dave Hopkins says about Donald Trump’s VP selection.
3. See also Heath Brown at the New West on the current state of the vice presidency.
4. Boris Heersink and Brenton Peterson at the Monkey Cage look at home-state help from running mates and what it tells us about Mike Pence.
5. Josh Putnam on what the convention’s Rules Committee did.
6. At NPR, Danielle Kurtzleben gets lots of interesting answers about what happened in the Republican nomination this year. Good survey of what several political scientists think.
7. Excellent Ezra Klein item about the botched introduction of Trump’s running mate and why it matters.
8. And Brian Beutler on Pence and low expectations. Reasonable.
Get Early Returns every morning in your inbox. Click here to subscribe.
This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the editorial board or Bloomberg LP and its owners.
To contact the author of this story:
Jonathan Bernstein at email@example.com
To contact the editor responsible for this story:
Brooke Sample at firstname.lastname@example.org