Cosmopolitanism, Optimism and Secrecy
1. Dan Drezner’s item about “cosmopolitanism” is very good.
2. Seth Masket turns optimistic about the U.S. political system. Over at Pacific Standard.
3. Erik Jones, R. Daniel Kelemen and Sophie Meunier at the Monkey Cage on how Europe is “failing forward.”
4. Useful analysis of a voting trend that might help Democrats this year, from Margaret Talev, Jennifer Epstein and Gregory Giroux at Bloomberg Politics.
5. Good one from my Bloomberg View colleague Eli Lake on secrecy and the Hillary Clinton e-mails.
6. I think Orin Kerr at Volokh Conspiracy gets it right on how the FBI's James Comey chose to handle the public side of his decision ...
7. ... while Lawfare’s Benjamin Wittes has a pretty solid analysis of Comey’s investigation and decision.
8. And Abner Mikva, RIP. The Washington Post’s Emily Langer has a fine obituary.
Get Early Returns every morning in your inbox. Click here to subscribe.
This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the editorial board or Bloomberg LP and its owners.
To contact the author of this story:
Jonathan Bernstein at email@example.com
To contact the editor responsible for this story:
Brooke Sample at firstname.lastname@example.org