Civil Rights, Libertarians and Guns
1. Must-read from Eric Schickler at the Monkey Cage on how the parties realigned on civil rights in the 20th century -- and what that suggests about Hispanic voters and the Trumpified Republican Party.
2. Seth Masket at Pacific Standard on the possibility of a robust Libertarian vote in this year’s presidential election. I agree: The key would be some high-profile Republicans backing Gary Johnson.
3. Dahlia Lithwick at Slate on the myth of the Second Amendment.
4. E.J. Graff on Orlando.
5. I think Jonathan Chait is generally correct that Donald Trump on terrorism is basically just an extension of what other Republicans have said.
6. Yes, what the Republicans in the Senate are doing with the Supreme Court vacancy has no precedent. Adam Liptak reports.
7. And Julia Ioffe on why one Russian is on Team Trump.
Get Early Returns every morning in your inbox. Click here to subscribe.
This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the editorial board or Bloomberg LP and its owners.
To contact the author of this story:
Jonathan Bernstein at firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact the editor responsible for this story:
Brooke Sample at email@example.com