Hey, Pundits, Take a Vacation Already
1. Worried (or thrilled) that Democrats are losing a chance to define Donald Trump early because Bernie Sanders is still running against Hillary Clinton? As John Sides says at the Monkey Cage, there’s very little evidence that early attack ads did anything against Mitt Romney in 2012.
2. Dan Drezner on why pundits should take a vacation this month.
3. Julia Azari and William Adler at FiveThirtyEight on the veepstakes.
4. Sean Trende makes the case that Trump has a chance of winning.
5. We’re getting a little backlash against the “Trump has a chance” crowd, however. Paul Krugman notes that the angry-electorate theory doesn’t seem to hold up.
7. And I really agree with Greg Sargent: There’s no reason to believe Trump is magic.
Get Early Returns every morning in your inbox. Click here to subscribe.
This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the editorial board or Bloomberg LP and its owners.
To contact the author of this story:
Jonathan Bernstein at firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact the editor responsible for this story:
Brooke Sample at email@example.com