Trump's Mandate Claim and a Scary Olympics
1. Mandate politics expert Julia Azari at Mischiefs of Faction looks at Donald Trump’s claim of a mandate from the Republican primaries.
2. Matthew Dickinson thinks about what Bernie Sanders should do.
3. At the Monkey Cage, Matthijs Rooduijn, Wouter van der Brug and Sarah L. de Lange look at the effects of voting for populists.
4. I really like this analysis from Plum Line’s Greg Sargent about how Trump can paper over his differences with mainstream conservative orthodoxy. I’m not sure, however, if Trump is actually capable of making what would appear to be easy rhetorical fixes. He’d have to take what he says seriously, and he hasn’t shown the ability to do that so far.
5. Peter Suderman at Reason points out that unity with Trump would only reinforce the broken Republican Party’s troubles.
6. Jonathan Chait is totally correct about Paul Ryan and the federal budget deficit.
7. Nicholas Bagley looks at House v. Burwell, this year’s Obamacare case.
8. Sean Trende is smart about “data” journalism.
9. And when Dan Drezner freaks out about the safety of the Olympics, I’m going to listen.
Get Early Returns every morning in your inbox. Click here to subscribe.
This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the editorial board or Bloomberg LP and its owners.
To contact the author of this story:
Jonathan Bernstein at firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact the editor responsible for this story:
Brooke Sample at email@example.com