Hey, Where's My Good Approval Rating?
2. John Sides at the Monkey Cage notes that Barack Obama hasn’t been rewarded (in approval ratings) for the economy the way other presidents were. I’d like to look at this a little more closely; is this relationship being driven by the high approval ratings and awful economy in his first several months?
3. Julia Azari at FiveThirtyEight looks at what we know about the effects of divisive primaries.
4. Sam Stein at the Huffington Post on what big-money contributors really care about.
5. My colleague Francis Wilkinson on whether Trumpism is a part of a larger crisis of democracy. I come down pretty much where Theda Skocpol is on this one.
6. And Ed Kilgore is probably correct that the 2020 Republican nomination battle has already begun, but I think I’ll wait until at least October to start paying attention to it. OK?
Get Early Returns every morning in your inbox. Click here to subscribe.
This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the editorial board or Bloomberg LP and its owners.
To contact the author of this story:
Jonathan Bernstein at email@example.com
To contact the editor responsible for this story:
Brooke Sample at firstname.lastname@example.org