New House Speaker, Even More Dysfunction
1. Barbara A. Perry and Marc J. Selverstone at the Monkey Cage on why Republicans might benefit from holding Senate Judiciary Committee hearings on Merrick Garland.
2. Dan Drezner wonders what will happen to Republican intellectuals in a Trumpified party.
3. I missed this brilliant Jon Ward interview of Elaine Kamarck on the nomination process from earlier this week at Yahoo, but it’s a must-read. Kamarck knows her stuff, and she’s absolutely on fire here.
4. Lindsey McPherson at Roll Call on inaction in the House of Representatives. The Paul Ryan House is shaping up to be sort of like the John Boehner House, except more dysfunctional.
5. And Amber Phillips at the Fix updates the (very small) secession movement in Texas.
Get Early Returns every morning in your inbox. Click here to subscribe.
This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the editorial board or Bloomberg LP and its owners.
To contact the author of this story:
Jonathan Bernstein at email@example.com
To contact the editor responsible for this story:
Brooke Sample at firstname.lastname@example.org